Jul. 05, 2022
Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd.
Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd. (hereinafter “Daihatsu”) has fully redesigned its Move Canbus mini passenger vehicle for the first time since the last complete redesign six years ago. The new models will go on sale nationwide on July 13.*1
The first-generation Move Canbus was launched in 2016 as a wagon boasting a novel style that strikes a balance between design and functionality. It has been accepted by a wide range of generations, especially women enjoying individual lifestyles. Cumulatively, more than 380,000 units*2 were sold, creating a new market.
Retaining the initial model’s cuteness, the Move Canbus has been completely redesigned to become “Stripes,” a neat and refined model, and “Theory,” a high-quality and refined model. These models editions represent two different “worlds.” In anticipation of further expansion of the demand for these new models, Daihatsu has improved driving performance andenhanced the usability of the Move Canbus by introducing the Daihatsu New Global Architecture (DNGA) and creating “Turbo” grade models.
Stripes is released for young customers who seek that which appears to resemble them and would feel sympathy with the vehicle and think “We are similar” (catch-phrase). Theory represents an expanded world nationwide to customers with a catch-phrase “Canbus for adults has been launched.”
1. “Stripes” has evolved in line with the times, inheriting the popular cuteness of the initial Move Canbus
2. “Theory” has been released under the concept “An adult’s values and philosophy.”
1. New functions have been added to the floor-mounted rack box and the sliding doors on both sides, which have long gained popularity, enhancing the ease of use.
2. Many functional and comfort-oriented features including a thermal cup holder, adopted for the first time for mini vehicle (A-segment car),*2 have been installed.
3. New features such as wireless-compatible display and audio system incorporating Apple CarPlay*3 and Daihatsu’s first*2 10-inch navigation system have been adopted.
1. Evolved basic performance
- Fuel efficiency (in WLTC mode) has been improved by introducing DNGA and reducing the body weight by 50 kg.
- “Turbo” grade models provide a powerful acceleration feel have been added to the Move Canbus lineup in response to customer requests.
- Ease of driving and ride comfort have been enhanced after analyzing customer feedback on driving concerns more thoroughly than ever.
2. Evolved safety capabilities
- Safety performance has been enhanced by the latest Smart Assist*4 active safety system.
3. Safety and security are ensured for customers by the Daihatsu Connect service.
*1: September 2016.
*2: As of July 2022, according to research conducted by Daihatsu.
*3: Apple CarPlay is a tradename of Apple Inc. registered in the United States and several other countries
*4: The Smart Assist active safety system has been designed as driving assistance tool for driver. It has functional limitations and may not work, depending on the oad and weather conditions. Drivers should not rely too much on this system. For details, contact your local sales company or visit the Daihatsu official website.
◇Monthly sales target: 6,500 units
◇Announcement exhibition: August 6 (Saturday) -August 7 (Sunday) 2022
Daihatsu Motor Kyushu Co., Ltd. Oita (Nakatsu) Plant Nakatsuka No.2
Prices are recommended retail prices and are intended for reference purposes only. Prices are independently set by sales companies; for further details, please visit your nearest sales company.
Insurance, taxes (excluding consumption tax), automobile recycling fees and fees associated with registration, etc. charged separately.
|Grade||Engine||Transmission||Smart Assist||Drive System||Price (yen)|
|Stripes G Turbo||TC※6||2WD||1,793,000|
|Theory G Turbo||TC※6||2WD||1,793,000|
*5: Natural Aspiration
*6: Turbo Charger
- A simplified front design based on the Move Canbus characteristic “smile face”
- Body line with a glossy that which generally highlights roundness
- Instrument panel dominated by white in a simple and orderly interior space. The driver and passengers can feel at home.
- Newly-developed full fabric seats provide the comfort of sofa
- The new Move Canbus is offered in eight colors. Colors added at this time are the newly developed Apricot Pink Metallic “R78” and Citrus Yellow Crystal Shine “Y16.”
- A variety of two-tone color schemes that incorporate fresh colors and suggest a trend
- Chic color that conveys quality accentuated in a casual way by plated decorations
- A relaxed interior space in brown and navy blue
- Genuine-leather-covered steering wheel and shift knob give Theory an elegant look
- As in Stripes, the newly-developed full fabric seats provide the feel of sitting on a sofa
- Move Canbus family available in seven chic mono-tone colors in harmony with different scenes
- Cuteness is represented by exterior parts accentuated by white and plated decorations and interior parts with a light wood effect.
- Quality and chic appearance expressed by visible plated exterior parts and interior parts with dark brown creating the effect of plated materials
- Crafts-like austere elegance with black-dominated exterior parts and dark brown interior parts
- The ”Basket” mode can be set by raising the partition with one hand for securing tallcargo. This feature enhanced the operability of the floor mounter rack box.
- The ”Touch & Go Lock” function has been added and the “Welcome Open”*7 function has been added to the power sliding doors. These functions ensure easy and smooth ingress and egress when a user is holding parcels or take-out cargo in both hands or arms.
- New and useful equipment for accommodating bags and baggage have been installed.
*7: Standard equipment on G and G Turbo grade models
- We have added a heat retention function*10, which is useful in cold weather, as a heat retention cup holder*9.
- Driver/passenger seat heaters*9 have been added for people who want to keep warm in the vehicle.
- Vanity mirrors, useful for checking and fixing up makeup when stationary and a large space in front of the instrument panel which are favorable for impromptu meals.
- Useful storages are provided within driver’s easily accessible ranges: Instrument Panel Upper Box*11 for accommodating small and thin objects (e.g., face masks) and Instrument Panel Lower Box for storing small objects such as chewing gum in box.
- Some functions contribute to alleviating driver fatigue during daily driving and when in congestion: coordinated operation of the parking brake with shifting operation and release of the parking brake by accelerator pedal operation.
*8: As of July 2022, according to research conducted by Daihatsu.
*9: Standard equipment on G and G Turbo grade models
*10: A beverage in a cup is kept at 42ºC for two hours at a room temperature of 25ºC.
*11: The Instrument Panel Upper Box is amanufacturer’s option that is combined with a 9-inch smartphone linked display and audio system.
*12: Standard equipment on G and G Turbo grade models
- User-friendliness has been improved by setting a vehicle control system with voice recognition capability: the air conditioner can be controlled and some meter data and warning sounds can be acknowledged by voice.
- Placing your Qi-standard-compatible smartphone on the instrument panel tray allows it to recharge without a cable. The space around the instrument panel has been kept very clear.
- Daihatsu’s first-ever*15 10-inch Stylish Memory navigation system has newly been adopted.
- The new dash cams are capable of recording the vehicle’s interior in addition to the forward and backward directions, making car use safe and secure.
*13: Apple CarPlay is a tradename of Apple Inc. registered in the United States and several other countries.
*14: Available as a Manufacturer’s option. Qi (pronounced tchi) is an optional device available as a manufacture’s option that is combined with a 9-inch smartphone-coordinated display and audio system.
*15: As of July 2022
*16: Qi is a trademark of Wireless Power Consortium.
Features designed to meeting customer requirements and alleviating concerns about driving have been created on the basis of the high basic performance based on the DNGA. Parking and narrow road driving are issues of concern often mentioned by customers. These features ensure steady and adequate steering and comfortable medium- or long-distance driving with a nimble acceleration feel and feeling of stability.
- The latest unit based on the DNGA is used. Fuel efficiency (in WLTC mode), quietness and starting performance have been improved.
- “Turbo” grade models, requested by many customers, have been added to the Move Canbus lineup. A combination of engine and D-CVT ensures a powerful acceleration feel.
- The weight of the body was reduced by 50 kg while the DNGA was adopted, and the use rate of high- tensile steel was increased to enhance mechanical strength. This contributes to improvedfuel efficiency (in WLTC mode) and driving stability.
- Customer feedback on hardness and smoothness of steering helped Daihatsu come up with a steering control with moderate operating force and quick wheel return.
- Retaining the high operational stability ensured by incorporating the DNGA, suspension tuning was conducted to achieve secure and comfortable driving.
- Fuel efficiency of 22.9km/L*17 in WLTC mode (a 10% improvement*18 over the previous model) was achieved by reducing the body weight and improving engine control.
*17: Fuel consumption rate of a vehicle of 2WD/CVT/NA engine mounted grade (examination value of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Tourism). This value is achieved in the definite test conditions and may differ actual environmental conditions (meteorological conditions and traffic congestion) and vehicle driving/equipment operation (sudden acceleration and use of air conditioner). WLTC mode is an international driving mode incorporating urban, rural and expressway driving modes with average time durations assigned to each mode.
*18: Results of comparison of identical grades of a new and an old model (2WD/CVT/NA).
- The latest stereo cameras are installed to combine the collision warning function and the collision avoidance braking function with pedestrian detection at night and following motorcycle detection. Detection distance and response speed were improved.
- An erroneous start prevention with brake control has been adopted to control accidental sudden acceleration due to pedal misapplication.
- ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)*20 has been adopted to alleviate driver burdens during long-distance driving and expressway driving.
- When a vehicle approaching from the rear is detected when changing lanes, an indicator on the pillar and an warning buzzer alert the driver to avoid collision.
- Unlocking the doors with the dedicated electronic card key*23 activates the sudden acceleration control system. When excessive pressure on the accelerator pedal or pedal misapplication is detected, whether an obstacle is present or not, the warning buzzer sounds, the indicator on the display alerts the driver to take an appropriate action, and the vehicle’s acceleration is controlled.
- Unlocking the door with the dedicated electronic card key automatically activates the Plus Support System. No setting operation is required.
*19: The Smart Assist function is configured differently for each grade (manufacture’s option for some grades).
*20: Standard for Move Canbus G Turbo. Manufacture’s option for G models.
*21: To be launched in October 2022.
*22: Plus Support is a tradename of Toyota Motor Corporation.
*23: To be launched in September 2022.
- New features include the Smart Assist Report, which displays the number of activations of the Smart Assist in the last seven days, promoting safe driving, and the “Ukkari Assist,” which notifies the driver via smartphone of failure to lock the doors or to turn off the hazard lights.
- Other new features are a function to provide information on the display and audio system, Connect-compatible navigation system and a smartphone of the vehicle’s maintenance timing and a function to provide notification via smartphone to any customers who do not respond to a recall 10 to 18 months after recall notification.
- Another new feature is a 12-month driving history recording function.
*24: Compatible with the 9-inch smartphone coordinated display audio, the 10-inch Stylish Memory navigation system and the wide standard memory navigation system.