- Products & Technology
- News release
- NEWAug. 17, 2009
Daihatsu Unveils New Mini Passenger Vehicle Mira Cocoa
Aug. 17, 2009
DAIHATSU MOTOR CO., LTD. (Daihatsu) announced on August 17 the launch in Japan of a new mini passenger vehicle, the Mira Cocoa1.
Mira Cocoa is a mini passenger vehicle that targets women who pursue a fun and laidback lifestyle by selecting products that suit their particular tastes. The vehicle is intended to perfectly meet their needs and to be a trusted partner thanks to a design that makes it fun to drive around and its ease of handling.
The new Mira Cocoa offers the following features:
(1) An easy-to-love vehicle design that makes it fun to drive around.
- A friendly, modern style that is easy to love
- A simple and casual interior that makes the vehicle fun to drive around
- Rich color variations to subtly express the driver's personality
(2) Improved ease of handling
- Equipped with outstanding driver-assistance functions that enhance ease of handling (First vehicle in Japan2 to be equipped with a rearview mirror that is fitted with a back view monitor3 (equipped with an automatic anti-glare function)
- A perfect package that combines a roomy cabin space with ease of handling.
(3) Outstanding basic performance
- The latest platform and powertrain provide outstanding driving performance and excellent safety and environmental capabilities.
- Because the Cocoa meets the Japanese JC08 mode (Cold) test cycle standard for cleaner exhaust emissions, it is eligible for a tax break in Japan under the taxation system to promote environmentally-considerate vehicles (75% tax reduction) and for a subsidy under the subsidy system to promote environmentally-considerate vehicles4.
1. The name "cocoa" was chosen to express the fact that the car offers passengers the comfortable feeling and relaxed atmosphere that one gets from drinking cocoa
2. It is the first in Japan as of August 2009 among automobile manufacturers, according to Daihatsu's research
3. Equipped in the Cocoa plus G (for the Cocoa X the back view comes in a package as a manufacturer's option)
4. In the case of the two-wheel drive vehicles the Cocoa X, the Cocoa Plus X, and the Cocoa Plus G
Monthly sales target for Japan are 3,000 units. Manufacturer's suggested retail prices (excluding consumption tax) are from 1 million yen to 1.364 million yen.
1)Easy-to-love Vehicle Design that Makes it Fun to Drive Around
A Friendly, Modern Style that is Easy to Love
- A simple yet memorable design, based on a "friendly modern" concept centered on the keywords of "atypical", "trouble-free" and "carefree."
- Achieves an accessible and friendly look through a basic contour that has a simple horizontal tone line and a clean surface structure, as well clearly curved corners for a sloping-shoulder, trapezoid silhouette.
- The shape of the round front headlight that is connected to the turn signal creates a lovable impression, while the curved corners of the six-light design side windows results in a cabin with outstanding visibility.
- The roof rail and the fog lamp equipped with a silver ring, along with other features (on the Cocoa Plus), make the vehicle even more fun to drive around
A simple and casual interior that makes the vehicle fun to drive around
- In addition to the basic contour, which has a simple horizontal tone, the instrument panel and door trim also have a rounded-square design, giving the vehicle a unified look that is also friendly and accessible.
- Piping around the edges of the seats like that of a well-loved bag creates a subtle, fashionable impression.
- The color combination of clean-looking ivory with a powerful-looking black results in a streamlined cabin space.
- The use of a high-quality (yellow-beige) suede-toned seat fabric in the Cocoa Plus, which has a deodorizing function and features the Cocoa emblem and piping, along with a fabric tonneau cover, result in an excellent unified combination.
- The Cocoa L and Cocoa X convey a feeling of comfort through the use of a (grayish beige) seat fabric that is soft and solid looking, while also employing corner patches at the edge of the seats to create a playful feeling. (The black seat fabric and the leather-wound steering wheel come as a set in the Black Interior Package that is a manufacturer's option on the Cocoa L and Cocoa X.)
Rich variation of colors to subtly express the driver's personality
- The Cocoa vehicles come in a total of nine color variations5 (including one new color)-from chic to casual-looking colors-that can be chosen according to each person's fashion sense.
5. Includes two colors that are available as a manufacturer's option
2)Improved Ease of Handling
Equipped with outstanding driver-assistance functions that enhance ease of handling
- When the automatic transmission is shifted to reverse the image from the camera equipped in the rear of the vehicle is displayed on the rearview mirror; this is the first vehicle in Japan to be equipped with a rearview mirror fitted with a back view monitor6 (equipped with an automatic anti-glare function), to assist the driver in parking and other operations. (The back view monitor comes in a package as a manufacturer's option for the Cocoa plus G and the Cocoa X.)
6. It is the first in Japan as of August 2009 among automobile manufacturers, according to Daihatsu's research
- Equipped with side mirrors that enhance visibility to the rear-left of the vehicle, which has poor visibility during reversing for parking, etc. It also has an "auto-light" that lights up automatically when the area outside the vehicle is dark. (For the Cocoa plus, these functions are included in the Useful Driving Package that is a manufacturer's option.)
- Utilizes the Adjustable Pack (including driver's seat lift function, tilt steering wheel, and an adjustable shoulder belt anchor) that makes it possible to choose the optimal driving position according to one's physique and driving stance.
- The instrument panel's upper box that can be rotated to open and shut (for the passenger seat) and a fabric tonneau cover that hides bags in the luggage space from view (standard on the Cocoa Plus) provide a wide variety of storage functions.
Optimal Package that Combines an Open Cabin Space with Ease of Handling
- A compact exterior, 1,530 mm7 in height, that makes it easy for a driver to maneuver in a multistory parking garage; along with a spacious, unconstricted cabin space that is 1,930 mm8 long and 1,345 mm wide.
7. The exterior height of the Cocoa L and Cocoa X is 1,530 mm; while that of Cocoa plus is 1,560 mm
8. The cabin of the Cocoa L and Cocoa X is 1,930 mm wide; while that of Cocoa plus is 1,940 mm
- Ease of driving is enhanced through the use of rounded glass in the rear of the vehicle to ensure visibility at rear angles, thin front pillars to reduce blind spots, and a hood with a clear horizontal tone.
3)Outstanding Basic Performance
Performance & Environmental consideration
Cocoa meets the Japanese JC08 mode (Cold) test cycle standard for cleaner exhaust emissions, making it eligible for a 75% tax break under the Japanese taxation system to promote environmentally-considerate vehicles
- The Cocoa X, Cocoa Plus X and Cocoa G all achieve emissions levels that are 75% lower than the 2005 Exhaust Emissions Standards set by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, and that are 25% lower than the Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards, which makes the vehicles eligible for a tax break under the taxation system to promote environmentally-considerate vehicles (75% tax reduction) and for a subsidy under the subsidy system to promote environmentally-considerate vehicles.
- Equipped with a KF-VE twin-cam Dynamic Variable Valve Timing (DVVT) three-cylinder engine with a long-stroke and compact combustion chamber to provide ample torque (even at low and medium speeds) and outstanding fuel efficiency, the Cocoa boasts emissions levels for all grades that are 75% lower than the 2005 Exhaust Emissions Standards adopted by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Tourism when they are driven in the cleaner exhaust emissions mode, the Japanese JC08 mode (cold) test cycle.
- Superior acceleration performance is achieved through an input-speed reduction type three-shaft gear train system input, while excellent power transmission is achieved by equipping the vehicles with a CVT developed by Daihatsu. Combining the KF-VE engine with the CVT results in the two-wheel drive vehicles surpassing the Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 25%.
Cocoa Plus L
indicates vehicles that surpass the Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 25%
- Daihatsu employed Eco-VAS (Eco-Vehicle Assessment System), a comprehensive approach to assessing environmental impact, to efficiently set targets and reduce overall environmental impact throughout the vehicle's lifecycle (from production and use to disposal), thereby improving overall environmental performance.
- The total volume of CO2 and other air-polluting substances released throughout the entire lifecycle of the vehicle-not only at the driving stage, but at all stages from production to disposal-has been reduced using the results of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
Safety Performance that Meets Next-Generation Safety Standards
- The TAF9 collision-safety body achieves a balance between outstanding collision impact absorbance and a rigid and lightweight cabin by employing front-side members with a high-efficiency impact-absorption structure, a collision impact distributing vehicle structure, and high-rigidity steel plates.
9. TAF: Total Advanced Function refers to a vehicle body with advanced collision impact absorbing functions.
- The vehicle has easily met collision safety standards for Japan as well as Europe. World-class safety levels have also been achieved for full head-on frontal and side collision tests at 55km/h, frontal offset collision tests at 64km/h, side-on collision tests at 55km/h, and rear-end collision tests at 55km/h. On top of this, considering the varied conditions under which accidents occur, it was demonstrated through vehicle-to-vehicle collision tests (50km/h frontal collision, 50km/h side-on collision) based on Daihatsu's own targets that the Mira Cocoa secures an ample survival space for passengers and achieves superior occupant protection.
- The interior is based on the concept of SOFI (Safety-Oriented Friendly Interior).
- The driver's seat and the passenger seat are equipped with dual-stage SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) airbags as a standard feature.
- 3-point ELR (Emergency Locking Retractor) seatbelts equipped with pretensioners and force limiters for the front seats, an impact-absorbing steering wheel that limits impact to the driver's head and body, and a structure that prevents rearward movement of the brake pedal to reduce impact to the driver's legs are also standard features.
- The pedestrian injury-lessening body is designed to prevent injuries to the head, the most susceptible area, in the event of an accident with a pedestrian, including impact-reducing structures and force-absorbing spaces in the resin cowl, wiper pivots, and hood hinges.
- ABS with EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution) and Brake Assist is installed as a standard feature in the Cocoa X and Cocoa Plus X/G, and available as a manufacturer's option on the Cocoa X and Cocoa Plus L.