- Products & Technology
- News release
- NEWDec. 18, 2006
Daihatsu Launches Fully Redesigned Mini Vehicle Mira
Dec. 18, 2006
Mira X 2WD
Mira Custom X 2WD
DAIHATSU MOTOR CO., LTD. (Daihatsu) announced that the fully redesigned mini vehicle Mira will be launched in Japan on December 18.
The new Mira, the seventh generation of the series, has been completely updated, including the platform and the engine. Development sought to maintain the smart styling, space and utility that have long characterized the Mira while enhancing quality and value to a new level that far exceeds other vehicles in its class. The lineup includes two vehicle types, each with its own distinctive characteristics: the Mira, which is based on the concept of "a high quality mini vehicle for city driving," and the Mira Custom, based on the concept of a "premium personalized mini vehicle."
The new Mira offers the following features:
1) Continued Evolution of DNA
- Styling that evokes a sense of dynamic energy and a deeply sculptured form that portrays solid strength
- Highly efficient use of space that creates a surprisingly expansive interior
2) Enhanced Small Car Value
- A package that facilitates easy ingress and egress and ease of handling, combined with a high level of utility
- Fuel efficiency of 27.0 km/l*, which is the highest for a gasoline vehicle
3) Advanced Quality
*Survey by Daihatsu: As certified by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport in the 10-15 Japanese test cycle, excluding hybrid vehicles (as of November 30, 2006).
- The new Mira Custom model focuses on high quality and functionality.
Plans call for sales of 6,000 units per month in Japan. The manufacturer's suggested retail prices range from 830,000 yen to 1,475,000 yen (excluding consumption tax).
1) Continued Evolution of DNA
Styling that evokes a sense of dynamic energy and a deeply sculptured form that portrays solid strength
* One of the colors is a manufacturer's option.
- The dynamic and friendly styling conveys a sense of youthfulness.
- The long wheelbase that expresses stability and the hood and side view that create a dynamic silhouette convey a robust feel to give passengers a sense of safety in a vehicle with advanced styling.
- The sharp character lines that run along the sides, the sculpted relief, and the large headlights express the new Mira's vitality.
- The Mira is available in a total of eight colors* including two new youthful and bright colors for a wide range of color variations.
- The interior is stylish and casual with bright colors, providing passengers a snug, comfortable feeling.
- The dashboard features a high-contrast, two-tone, non-symmetrical design that radiates out from instrument panel. The adoption of a wider panel than on earlier models gives the interior a roomier look.
- The large instrument panel features a simple design and excellent visibility.
- The seat tricot fabric has a raised nap for a soft touch.
Highly efficient use of space that creates a surprisingly expansive interior
- The adoption of a super-long, 2,490mm wheelbase and a compact engine compartment provides an extended interior length (2,000mm*1) and the widest interior of any minivehicle*2 (1,350mm). Although the height is 1,530mm*3, low enough for multistory parking garage, the highly efficient use of space creates a surprisingly large interior.
*1 The interior length of the Custom X and the Custom RS with two-wheel drive is 2,050mm, and that of the four-wheel drive models is 2,020mm. The interior length of the Custom L is 2,040mm.
*2 According to Daihatsu survey as of November 30, 2006.
*3 The height of the Custom RS is 1,540mm.
- The new Mira boasts ample rear seat legroom with 980mm* between the front and rear seats and a flat rear floor with no hump (on two-wheel drive models).
* The distance on the Custom X and the Custom RS is 995mm (as measured by Daihatsu).
2) Enhanced Small Car Value
A package that facilitates easy ingress and egress and ease of operation, combined with a high level of utility
- The hip point for the driver's seat is set at 600mm, for optimal ingress and egress, the angle of front pillars is large to allow the doors to open wide, and the front door side step area is placed low for secure footing, achieving outstanding ease of ingress and egress.
- All four doors can be opened approximately 90 degrees for easy ingress and egress and loading.
- Despite the long wheelbase, the Mira boasts a minimum turning radius of just 4.2 meters. (L (4 WD), X (4 WD), X Limited, X Limited "SMART DRIVE Package," Custom L (4 WD))
- Side mirrors that enhance visibility to the rear left of the vehicle, which is an area that can be particularly difficult to see when reversing (such as when backing into a parking space), are standard features on the X, X Limited, and X Limited "Smart Drive Package"; and available on the Custom X and Customer RS with the optional Advanced Operation Pack. These mirrors change position automatically when the vehicle is put in reverse. Rear window wipers also operate when the vehicle is in reverse, a safety-enhancing feature when backing up in the rain, are standard on all Custom models.
- An Adjustable Pack (including driver's seat lift, tilt steering wheel, and adjustable shoulder belt anchors), which enables drivers to achieve optimal driving positions according to their physique and driving stance, is available as a manufacturer's option on all models.
Fuel efficiency of 27.0 km/l, the highest for a gasoline vehicle*2
*1 DVVT: Dynamic Variable Valve Timing
- The Mira features two different engines from the Topaz Neo series. The KF-VE twin-cam DVVT*1 three-cylinder engine adopts a long-stroke and compact combustion chamber to provide ample torque even at low and medium speeds and outstanding fuel efficiency, while the KF-DET twin-cam, three-cylinder turbo engine provides strong, smooth acceleration from starting up to high speed.
- The CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) adopts a compact input-speed reduction type three-shaft gear train system that is optimal for mini vehicles, contributing to excellent acceleration performance and high drive force transmission efficiency.
- The new Daihatsu Idle Stop System automatically stops and re-starts the engine when the vehicle is stopped at traffic lights and in traffic congestion to increase fuel efficiency and reduce noise when idling.
- The X Limited and Custom X, which feature the KF-VE engine and CVT, achieve fuel efficiency of 25.5 km/l. In addition, the X Limited "SMART DRIVE Package" with the new Daihatsu Idle Stop System boasts fuel efficiency of 27.0 km/l, the highest of any gasoline vehicle*2.
*2 Survey by Daihatsu: As certified by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport in the 10-15 Japanese test cycle, excluding hybrid vehicles (as of November 30, 2006).
|Maximum torque [N·m(kg·m)/rpm]
||10-15 Japanese test cycle (km/l)
||43 (58) /7,200
|X Limited "SMART DRIVE Package"
||47 (64) /6,000
||103 (10.5) /3,000
●: 2010Fuel Efficiency Standards+20%
○: 2010Fuel Efficiency Standards+10%
3) Advanced quality
The new Mira Custom model focuses on high quality and functionality
- The exterior basic design expresses the identity of the Mira, while a premium feel has been created through the combination of the clear silver front grille with plated molding, the four-lamp configuration of the headlights that merge into the grille, and the graphical rear combination lamps.
- Exclusive front and rear bumpers and side stone guards express a sense of stability.
- The Mira Custom is available in a total of eight colors* including three new colors for a wide range of color variations with a sophisticated feel.
* Two of the colors are manufacturer options.
- With a black-toned, sophisticated interior as the base, the glossy black center cluster (on all Custom models, X Limited, and X Limited "SMART DRIVE Package), the high-performance, attractive, self-illuminating meters (on the Custom RS and X Limited "SMART DRIVE Package), and the leather-wound steering wheel (on the Custom RS) create a space with a feeling of truly high quality.
- The elegant, black seat fabric conveys a different expression depending on the angle from which it is viewed.
Package and Utility
- The rear seat features one integrated seat with a long sliding range of 255mm* and can be tumbled forward for increased luggage space, allowing for versatile seat arrangements depending on use (Custom X and Custom RS)
- * The sliding range on four-wheel drive models is 225 mm.
- A "key free" electric keycard system with an immobilizer function allows drivers to easily lock and unlock the doors and to turn the engine on and off with an "engine switch knob".
- A push-type ignition switch is available with the Advanced Operation Pack, a manufacturer's option on the Custom X and Custom RS.
4) Basic performance
A high-quality, comfortable, and quiet ride
- The adoption of a new platform with a long wheelbase and completely updated suspension system design provide outstanding maneuverability and stability.
- The frame is placed optimally and the corners of openings have been reinforced. The use of high tensile strength steel and steel plates of variable width in key frame components achieve a lightweight, high rigidity body that contributes to the quiet ride and maneuvering stability.
- The connection between the transmission and engine has been made more rigid and a high-rigidity aluminum oil pan (on models with CVT) adopted to reduce engine noise at the source. In addition, all two-wheel drive models use a two-point and torque rod engine mount method for even quieter driving.
- A Radar Cruise Control system can not only maintain speed but also control deceleration and maintain a uniform distance from preceding vehicles (manufacturer's option on Custom RS two-wheel drive models).
5) Environmental performance
All vehicles equipped with the KF-VE engine qualify for incentives under the Japanese government's green taxation system
- Through the adoption of the Super Intelligent Catalyst, Catalyst Early Activation System, and other means, all vehicles equipped with the KF-VE engine and the KF-DET engine have been certified as having emissions levels that are 75% and 50% lower, respectively, than the 2005 Exhaust Emissions Standards set by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.
- All vehicles have been certified as having emissions levels 10 - 20% lower than the 2010 Fuel Efficiency Standards
- By meeting both the 2010 Fuel Efficiency Standard and the Approval System for Low-Emission Vehicles, all vehicles equipped with the KF-VE engine, qualify for incentives under the Japanese government's green taxation system intended to promote widespread use of fuel-efficient, low pollution vehicles.
- The total volume of CO2 and other air-polluting substances released through the entire lifecycle of the vehicle?not only at the driving stage, but at all stages from production to disposal?has been reduced using the results of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
6) Safety performance
Advanced safety technologies provide excellent safety performance
- The TAF* collision-safety body that features front side members with a high-efficiency impact-absorption structure, a collision impact distributing vehicle body structure, and high-rigidity steel plates achieves compatibility between outstanding collision impact absorbance and a rigid and light weight cabin.
* TAF: Total Advanced Function refers to a vehicle body with advanced collision impact absorbing functions.
- Collision safety standards for Japan as well as Europe were easily met. Outstanding safety has also been achieved for full head-on frontal and side collision tests at 55km/h, frontal offset collision tests at 64km/h, side-on collision tests at 55km/h, and rear-end collision tests at 55km/h, which are all the highest levels in the world. Further, the results of vehicle-to-vehicle collision tests (50km/h frontal collision, 50km/h side-on collision) based on Daihatsu's own targets, which take into consideration an analysis of actual accidents, demonstrated that the Mira preserves an ample survival space, and achieves superior occupant protection performance
- The interior is based on the concept of SOFI (Safety-Oriented Friendly Interior).
- The Mira is equipped with a total of seven airbags, including front-seat SRS side airbags that distribute and reduce the impact to the head in the event of a frontal collision, SRS curtain shield airbags that cover the front and rear seats, and SRS knee airbag that restrict the lower body (particularly the knees) and provide enhanced protection in addition to the seat belts.
- The front seats are equipped with a dynamic support headrest that moves the headrest forward in the event of a medium- to low-speed collision from the rear to reduce the impact to the head.
1. and 2. are included in the Safety Pack, a manufacturer's option on the Custom X and Custom RS.
- Impact-absorbing materials in the pillar garnishes and roof interior is used to reduce impact and protect passengers' heads.
- A structure that prevents rearward movement of the brake pedal reduces impact to the driver's legs, and an impact-absorbing steering wheel limits impact to the driver's head and body.
- The pedestrian injury-lessening body is designed to prevent injuries to the head, the most susceptible area, in the event of an accident with a pedestrian, including impact-reducing structures and force-absorbing spaces in the fenders, hood, hood hinges, and wiper pivots.
The Mira offers VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), which combines three control systems (traction control, ABS and sideway skidding control) to ensure the vehicle's stability during abrupt steering wheel operations or driving on slippery road surfaces (manufacturer's option on Custom RS two-wheel drive models).