- News release
- NEWJun. 09, 2004
Toyota, Daihatsu Display 13 Vehicles at Beijing Motor Show
Jun. 09, 2004
Beijing—TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) and DAIHATSU MOTOR CO., LTD. (Daihatsu) began displaying today 13 concept and production vehicles at Auto China 2004 (also known as the "Beijing Motor Show")*1, highlighted by the Crown luxury sedan.
Under the theme: "Creating new motorization with our Chinese customers", the TMC and Daihatsu booth offers visitors a close-up view of the following, among others:
- Debut of the Chinese market Crown to be made and sold in China from 2005
- The PM-01*2, a concept car that features the latest information and communications technology and seeks to combine a car and people's feelings
- The Toyota TF104 racecar, with which TMC will participate in the Chinese Grand Prix on Sept. 26—the 16th race of the 2004 FIA Formula One World Championship (F1) and the first ever in China
- The Prius hybrid passenger car, which TMC—in a joint effort with long-term Chinese partner China FAW Group Corporation (FAW)—has been subjecting to fuel efficiency verification tests at the China Automobile Technology Research Center (CATARC)
- The Corolla, Land Cruiser, Land Cruiser Prado and other cars manufactured in China
- Displays of various vehicles and advanced technologies that merge the inherent automobile quality of being a joy to drive and fun to use with consideration for the environment and for people.
Also on display are two units of the compact SUV Terios—one in standard form and the other dressed up both on the inside and out. The Terios, which kicked off sales in China today, is the first model from the DARIO*3 lineup of Toyota compact vehicles established last year specifically for the Chinese market and developed by Daihatsu.
*1 From June 9-16 at the Beijing International Exhibition Center.
*2 PM = Personal Mobility with visual communication system
*3 Coined from the Spanish word "diario", which means "daily" (trade-mark pending)
1. An Advanced, High-Quality and Reliable Market Lineup
The Crown enhances its traditional feeling of "hospitality" and embodies the world's highest levels of luxury sedans through innovative and dynamic styling and superior driving performance.
- The exterior displays innovative elegance and dynamic styling typified by the side view, which is based on an image of the vigor of calligraphy, while the symbolic quarter pillar expresses the Crown's identity.
- The interior seeks to bring the sense of hospitality and elegance to a higher level and creates a space that provides all passengers with a sense of comfort and security.
- The newly developed platform, new V6 3.0-liter gasoline engine with dual VVT-i, and 6-speed automatic transmission give the Crown superior driving performance that achieves unprecedented excellence in maneuverability and cruising stability, a quiet ride and outstanding fuel efficiency. The newly developed platform also contributes to the Crown's high collision safety performance.
- The Crown is equipped with advanced features befitting a luxury vehicle at the world's highest levels including a Smart Entry and Start System that uses a Smart Key to lock and unlock the doors and a push button to start the engine, and an 8-inch, wide-screen, fine-detail DVD voice navigation system. The Crown also features world-leading safety and environmental performance, including knee airbags.
||V6 3.0-liter gasoline engine with dual VVT-i
The Corolla, sold in more than 140 countries worldwide, has garnered the support of numerous users as the leading passenger car of the twenty-first century through manufacturing that anticipates the needs of the times. All of the key components of the new Corolla, including the platform, engine, transmission and suspension, have been newly developed in line with the main theme of becoming the global standard vehicle, achieving both refined and beautiful styling and comfort on a higher level. In addition to meticulous attention to quality in all aspects, the Corolla features advanced driving performance, safety and environmental performance. Production and sales of the Corolla began in China this past February. Since then, the Corolla has been praised highly by its Chinese customers.
||In-line 4-cylinder 1.8 liter (gasoline) with VVT-i
The Dario series of vehicles was created last year exclusively for the Chinese market based on a concept of providing customers an "automobile lifestyle that is stylish, fun, smart and full of originality." The compact SUV Terios was developed and launched as the first model of the Dario lineup. Two units of the Terios with a trendy and fashionable design featuring improved headlamps are on display (of the two, one has a dressed up interior and exterior to evoke the sense of a high-performance SUV). The Terios began sales today.
||In-line 4-cylinder 1.3 liter (gasoline) with VVT-i
2. Pursuing Excellent Driving and Environmental Performance
Designed to "meet, link and hang out," Toyota PM-01 is a "wearable" single-person form of personal mobility that targets driver-vehicle unity and offers advanced vehicle-to-vehicle communication.
- Driver-vehicle unity with ergonomic focus: Cabin and seat shape are designed to fit almost like a glove, while integrating the driver's intention with the car's capabilities.
- Variable "lifelike" posture: The cabin and wheel-suspension structure are separated, allowing the vehicle to vary its posture according to speed and to facilitate entry and exit. Antennae-like headlamps contribute to the image of an exotic life form.
- Space input display: A floating virtual display senses driver finger position and shows vehicle data, locations of other PM-01s and other information.
- Vehicle-to-vehicle communication: Toyota PM-01s can share information as they travel, follow a leader in platoon formation and rendezvous automatically.
A further evolution of the Toyota PM-01 concept called the "i-unit" will be featured at the Toyota Group Pavilion at EXPO 2005 AICHI, to be held in Aichi Prefecture, Japan, beginning March 25, 2005.
Toyota PM-01 Specifications
||1,750 - 2,650
||1,215 - 1,855
Toyota F1 Car (FIA Formula One World Championship racecar replica)
The Panasonic Toyota Racing team is continuing to compete as a full-constructor (independent) team in 2004, which has been dubbed: "the year for a big step forward". Drivers Cristiano da Matta and Olivier Panis are racing with the Toyota TF104, which is equipped with the RVX-04 engine and is greatly improved in terms of aerodynamics, chassis rigidity and in other aspects.
- Toyota has participated actively in motorsports in China, including its wins in the 1987 Rally Hong Kong - Beijing (B. Waldegard; Toyota Supra) and the 1999 WRC (World Rally Championships) China Rally (D. Auriol; Toyota Corolla).
- Prior to participation in the China Grand Prix on Sept. 26, which will be the 16th race of the 2004 FIA Formula One World Championship (F1) series and the first F1 grand prix event ever in China, a preview event was held this past March 9. Various other events will be held including the Beijing Motor Show to add momentum to the upcoming China GP.
The Prius was launched in 1997 as the world's first mass production hybrid passenger car. Last year, the Prius was further evolved, and its advanced, high-efficiency, next-generation hybrid system achieves the world's highest levels of fuel efficiency and low emissions while enhancing the "fun to drive" quotient. In addition, the adoption of a new driving control system that introduced advanced electronic control systems with the concept of universal design in mind and a new package and design that seek to create a new passenger car form present a hybrid passenger car that leads the times.
- TMC and China FAW Group Corporation, a leading Chinese auto manufacturer that has formed a long-term cooperative relationship with TMC in the automotive business in China, have—in coordination with the China Automotive Technology & Research Center (CATARC), a leading Chinese automotive research organization—been conducting fuel efficiency verification tests on the Prius starting in Beijing since Dec. 15 in order to confirm the effectiveness of hybrid vehicles as a means of solving the environmental issues that are expected to become more serious with the increase in vehicle ownership in the future.
- The testing is being conducted with four new units of the Prius. Following the current testing, additional tests will be conducted in other major Chinese cities, including Shanghai, Chongqing and Guangzhou.
Other Display Vehicles (made in China)
- Toyota VIOS (produced by Tianjin FAW Toyota Motor Co., Ltd.)
- Toyota Land Cruiser (produced by Changchun FAW Fengyue Auto Co., Ltd.)
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (produced by Sichuan Toyota Motor Co., Ltd.)