- Products & Technology
- News release
- NEWSep. 20, 2011
Launching the New Mira e:S - Top among gasoline-powered vehicles for low fuel consumption at a low price of 795,000 yen -
Sep. 20, 2011
New Mini Vehicle from Daihatsu
Mira e:S 2WD
DAIHATSU MOTOR CO., LTD. announces the launch in Japan of the new mini vehicle, the Mira e:S on September 20.
As a result of the recent increase in environmental awareness and orientation toward budget pricing, Mira e:S has been developed as the "third eco car" accessible to anyone. Under the concept of "Eco (ecology + economy) & Smart", and by adopting the new e:S technology (Energy Saving Technology), Mira e:S has achieved a low price of 795,000 yen while delivering low fuel consumption that is in the top for gasoline-powered vehicles. In addition, Mira e:S combines a sense of design with safety, convenience and a spacious interior seating four persons.
Main features of the new Mira e:S
- Fuel consumption in top for gasoline-powered vehicles (30.0 km/L in JC08-mode) (2 wheel-drive vehicle)
- Conserving of resources by reducing the weight by approx. 60 kg*3
- A low price tag of 795,000 yen due to exhaustive activity of cost reduction
- Smart design that is sophisticated and vivid
- Smart packaging to seat four persons
- Enjoy smart driving with outstanding user-friendliness
- Combining light-weight with excellent safety
*1 Abbreviation of Eco & Smart. Eco encompasses the sense of both ecology and economy, expressing that this is a vehicle for people with a simple and smart lifestyle, who have high environmental awareness.
*2 As of September 2011. Except for hybrid cars. Based on Daihatsu research.
*3 Comparison with the Mira (2WD/CVT). Based on Daihatsu research (internal measurement values)
- Fuel consumption in top for gasoline-powered vehicles*1 (30.0 km/L in JC08-mode) and saving on resources by reducing the weight by approx. 60 kg -
- We have achieved an improvement of approximately 40% in fuel consumption*2 by adopting the newly developed e:S Technology, which maximizes energy efficiency while thoroughly enhancing existing technologies from the viewpoint of power train evolution, vehicle evolution and energy management. We have delivered 2 wheel-drive vehicles with a low fuel consumption of 30 km/L in JC08 mode, which is in the top for gasoline-powered vehicles, and all the vehicles are eligible for the eco car tax reduction of 75%.
- In the LCA (Life Cycle Assessment), CO2 emissions have been reduced by approximately 20%*3 at all stages, not only at the running stage, but also from the production to disposal stages.
- We have used sophisticated equipment that takes account of actual fuel consumption and supports eco driving in a way that is easy to understand.
- The Eco Drive Assist light changes to green when the driving style is fuel-efficient.
- The Eco Drive Assist Display indicates the amount of gasoline saved and energy regenerative status at deceleration by means of the Eco Power Generation Control
- The Multi Information Display indicates engine stopping time activated by eco IDLE, the accumulated time, average fuel consumption etc.
*1 As of September 2011. Except for hybrid cars. Based on Daihatsu research.
*2 Comparison with the Mira (2WD/CVT). Based on Daihatsu research (internal measurement values)
*3 Comparison with similarly ranked vehicles. Based on Daihatsu research (internal measurement values)
The Newly Developed e:S Technology
(1) Power Train Evolution
The new engine provides the ultimate in combustion efficiency and energy loss reduction
- Improved combustion efficiency by refining the particles sprayed from the injector and enhancing the compression ratio (from 10.8 to 11.3).
- Mechanical loss has been minimized by combining improvements down to every detail including modification of the oil seal, tension reduction in the piston rings, reduction in chain tension by cutting chain width, and the adoption of the i-EGR system.
- Coordinated control of engine and CVT using an electronic throttle. Maintains a state of maximum efficiency in accordance with a range of driving conditions. More improvements to power transmission efficiency with CVT
- Improved power transmission efficiency by lowering CVT control pressure and improving oil discharge with a high-efficiency oil pump.
- Lower engine load by optimizing the transmission gear ratio (high gears) based on cutting the weight of the vehicles, reducing running resistance and improving power transmission efficiency.
(2) Vehicle Evolution
Weight reduction of around 60 kg* (saving resources) by streamlining the shell body
- Delivered a weight reduction of around 30 kg* by streamlining the shell body on condition of maintaining the body rigidity necessary for safety and ride quality.
- Achieved weight reduction through an exhaustive review of every single interior component including reducing the weight of the seat frame and thinning the thickness of resin components such as door trims and instrument panels.
- Reduced the weight of the CVT unit for idle reduction by using integrated molding for the secondary sensing gear and piston, using aluminum for the oil pump cover and the planetary carrier, and thinning the thickness of the CVT case.
* Comparison with the Mira (2WD/CVT). Based on Daihatsu research
Lower running resistance
- Lowered air resistance by conducting CAE simulations and wind tunnel tests as of the design stage to improve the shape of the front corners and slow down under-floor flow.
- Lowered rolling resistance by reducing weight and improving bearings and brakes.
(3) Energy Management
New "eco IDLE" with a pre-stop function
- As a gasoline-powered CVT vehicle, the first in the world * to adopt a pre-stop function for idle reduction. Further improvement to fuel consumption by increasing the duration of no idling by stopping the engine when vehicle speed falls below 7 km/h.
- Lightweight and compact mechanism by reducing dedicated components for idle reduction
* As of September 2011. Based on Daihatsu research
Eco power generation control (deceleration energy regenerative function)
- Enhanced the function whereby the alternator converts the kinetic energy of a decelerating vehicle into electric energy to regenerate the battery. By improving the charge acceptance properties of the lead battery to increase the charge held, as well as increasing the amount of energy generated by the alternator at deceleration, substantially suppressed power generation by the alternator at normal operation and when accelerating to reduce engine load.
- A low price tag of 795,000 yen due to exhaustive activity to reduce cost price -
- Proactively pushed to reduce cost such as reviewing buyers and lowering the cost of parts.
- As part of the work to lower the cost of parts and as a means of improving the nature of the design, we identified 50 principal parts from the perspectives of whether we can manufacture them more cheaply by tweaking the design or method of manufacturing, whether we have extracted the full potential of the material, or whether the structure is correct in theory to achieve cost savings that surpass the barriers of function, such as design development, which considers the nature of design, or parts design based on production requirements. By searching out the optimum blueprint from the perspective of quality and cost price through undertaking an in-depth review of the positioning of components, shaping, and materials selection, and by reviewing specifications from scratch including the size, function, and quality suitable for the special characteristics of the vehicle, we have lowered the cost price by reducing the number of parts and trimming weight.
- On the basis of the optimum design blueprint, we implemented a review of buyers based on Open & Fair concepts such as improving local procurement rates in Kyushu and identifying new transaction partners.
- Combining lightweight with excellent safety -
- Adopted the Total Advance Function (TAF) body for collision safety. As well as a front side member with high-efficiency energy absorbent structure, we have delivered a strong cabin, improved collision absorption with a compact body size while continuing to trim the weight of the vehicle with a thoroughly optimized and rationalized frame.
- The Safety-Oriented Friendly Interior (SOFI) provides a comfortable and safe interior for passengers.
- SRS side airbags (driver's seat/ passenger seat)
- Front 3-point ELR seat belt with pretensioner & force limiter mechanism (driver's seat)
- Impact absorption style steering system etc.
- Body structure designed to alleviate head injuries in pedestrians
- Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) facilitates stable driving even on slick road surfaces.
- ABS with EBD function