- Products & Technology
- News release
- NEWFeb. 15, 2010
Daihatsu Launches Fully Redesigned Compact Vehicle Boon
Feb. 15, 2010
DAIHATSU MOTOR CO., LTD. (DMC) announces its launch today of the fully redesigned Boon compact hatchback.
The Boon was the first vehicle for the Japanese market that DMC developed jointly with Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), and since its initial launch in June 2004 it has been popular among a wide range of customers thanks to features that include an easy-to-maneuver compact body, individualistic styling, and a roomy interior.
DMC and TMC also teamed up for the redesign of the Boon, with all models now boasting higher fuel efficiency and lower emissions through the adoption of CVT and other changes. The overall aim was to create an affordable car with high degree of functionality and a design that epitomizes the beauty of simplicity.
The new Boon offers the following features:
(1) All Models Equipped with CVT for Higher Fuel Efficiency; Two-wheel drive models eligible for tax breaks and subsidies
- All models are equipped with continuously variable transmission (CVT). The CL and CL "Limited" two-wheel drive models exceed the Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 25% and the CX exceeds the standards by 15%, making them all eligible for the government's tax reductions and subsidies for environmentally-considerate cars and for the incentives under the green taxation system intended to promote widespread use of fuel-efficient, low pollution vehicles.
- Under the Japanese JC08 test cycle, which approximates actual driving conditions, the Boon's fuel efficiency is 20.8 km/l; and the CL and CL "Limited" two-wheel drive models are the first Daihatsu vehicles to meet the 2015 fuel efficiency standards.
(2) Design that Epitomizes the Beauty of Simplicity
- Styling is simple but incorporates curved surfaces to convey an upscale feel.
- Interior evokes the natural simplicity of living room.
(3) Outstanding Package Combining Excellent Handling with a Highly Functional Interior
- Compact body with a minimal turning radius of 4.3m (CL) and wide viewing angles ensure outstanding maneuverability.
- Interior is roomy and comfortable despite its compact size. The front bench seat (standard on the CL "Limited" and the CX) and the ample storage space boost utility.
(4) Excellent Safety Performance
- Boon is equipped with a vehicle stability control (VSC*) system (manufacturer's option on all models), Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) side airbags for the driver and front-passenger seats, SRS curtain shield airbags for front and rear seats (manufacturer's option on all models), the Dynamic Support Headrest (standard on the CL "Limited" and the CX), and other advanced safety features.
* A registered trademark of Toyota Motor Corporation (used under license).
The monthly sales target for Japan is 800 units; the manufacturer's suggested retail price (excluding consumption taxes) ranges from 1.05 million yen to 1.4 million yen.
(1)All Models Equipped with CVT for High Fuel Efficiency
Two-wheel drive models eligible for tax breaks and subsidies
CL and CL "Limited" (1,000cc)
- Three-cylinder, 1,000cc engine (1KR-FE) has been improved to raise fuel efficiency and lower emissions.
- Fuel efficiency of two-wheel drive models is 22.5 km/l (under the 10-15 Japanese test cycle) as a result of lower friction within the engine and the adoption of an electronic throttle that allows for collaborative control with the CVT.
- The installation of catalysts under the floor and the exhaust manifold enables the two-wheel drive models to have emission levels 75% lower than the 2005 exhaust emissions standards under the JC08 Japanese test cycle (for hot and cold starts).
- Equipped with a newly-developed CVT that adopts Daihatsu's original input-speed reduction type three-shaft gear train system, making it ideally suited to a 1,000 engine.
- Two-wheel drive models exceed the 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 25%, which makes them eligible for tax breaks (75% reduction), eco-car subsidies, and green tax incentives 50% reduction as environmentally-considerate cars.
- Fuel efficiency of the two-wheel drive models are 20.8 km/l under the JC08 test cycle that approximates actual driving conditions, making them the first DMC vehicles to meet the 2015 fuel efficiency standards.
- Equipped with a newly developed four-cylinder 1,300cc engine (1NR-FE) that provides ample torque at low and medium speeds, powerful acceleration at high speeds, and outstanding fuel efficiency.
- Adoption of the Dual Dynamic Variable Valve Timing (Dual DVVT) mechanism that optimally controls the intake and exhaust valve timing, combined with a high-efficiency intake port, results in exceptional power performance.
- Fuel efficiency has been improved through measures that include the adoption of Dual DVVT as well as the addition of an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) function and the lowering of internal engine friction.
- Fuel efficiency of 21.0 km/l (under the Japanese 10-15 test cycle), which exceeds the 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 15%, is achieved through integrated control of the low power loss 1,300cc CVT and the use of an electronic throttle for the engine. Under the JC08 test cycle (for cold starts), emissions are at 75% of the 2005 standards, making the CX eligible for tax breaks (50% reduction), eco-car subsidies, and green tax incentives (25% reduction) as an environmentally-considerate car.
|Fuel efficiency in 10-15 Japanese test cycle
|Fuel efficiency in JC08 Japanese test cycle
||2015 Japanese fuel efficiency standards
|Emissions reduction level under 2005 standards
||75% or greater
1. Automobile acquisition taxes and automobile weight taxes are subject to reduction.
2. Automobile taxes are subject to reduction.
(2)Design that Epitomizes the Beauty of Simplicity
Styling is simple but incorporates curved surfaces to convey an upscale feel
- Creative styling that combines an underbody that achieves stability by positioning the wheels at the four corners, with an angled upper body that was modeled after the shape of an egg.
- Curved surfaces as well as the clean, taut surfaces project an image of solidity and vitality. The basic structure is designed to have a simple beauty that that one never gets old.
- Nine body colors, including three new ones, are available to suit the lifestyles of the passengers.
Interior with the natural simplicity of a living room
- Instrument panel evokes a sense of width and has a clean, horizontal look. Its upper portion is decorated with a wallpaper-like pattern, coupled with circular and square-shaped controls, resulting in an up-scale feel that offers lasting enjoyment.
- Front bench seat creates an expansive feel (standard on the CL "Limited" and the CX). Its straight lines are rounded off at the edges to offer the sort of comfort normally found in a person's living room.
- Optimal placement of materials to absorb and block noise, and the optimization of the engine mount position, result in an extremely quiet interior that makes it easy for passengers to converse with each other.
(3)Outstanding Package that Combines Excellent Handling and Highly Functional Interior
- Compact, easy-to-handle body (3,640 mm long; 1,665 mm wide; 1,535 mm tall) creates a minimal turning radius on par with that of a mini vehicle (4.3m for the CL) as well as outstanding maneuverability.
- Visibility in all directions is enhanced and blind spots reduced thanks to the innovative shape of the front pillar shape, expanded window area, and raised hip point.
Highly functional interior
- Expertise gained through Daihatsu's development of mini vehicles was used to create a compact yet roomy interior, which can not only comfortably seat five passengers but at the same time offers ample storage space, including room for a baby stroller.
- Equipped with a number of accessible storage spaces, including an attractive, easy-to-use retractable shopping hook (front), a high-capacity, wide storage shelf, and an illuminated multi-purpose storage tray.
- Rear seats can be arranged in a variety of layouts, including the option of moving the seat cushions forward and down to create a flat space.
(4)Outstanding Safety Performance
Excellent preventive and collision safety
Collision safety features include:
- Total Advanced Function (TAF) body incorporates the concept of omni-directional compatibility.
- Equipped with SRS side airbags (for the driver and front-passenger seats) and SRS curtain shield airbags (for front and rear seats) as a manufacturer's option on all models.
- Dynamic Support Headrest for the front seats reduces whiplash injury (standard on the CL "Limited" and the CX).
- Body structure is designed to minimize head injuries to pedestrians.
Preventive safety features include:
- Equipped with the Vehicle stability control (VSC) function for preventing skidding and enhancing traction (manufacturer's option on all models).
- Incorporates the Antilock braking system (ABS) with an electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) function and a brake booster incorporating a 2-stage mechanical assist mechanism.